5 Fall Driving Safety Tips
Brought To You By Stonewall Insurance Agency:
Stay safe on the road this season with these smart driving tips.
1. Don't brake on leaves. Wet leaves can be as slippery as ice. Drive slowly through them and avoid hard braking
2. Avoid sun glare. On and near the autumnal equinox, the first 15 to 45 minutes after sunrise and before sunset can make for more difficult driving due to sun glare. The sun perfectly aligns with east/west roadways during this time. Grab a good pair of sunglasses for the daytime and keep your windshield clean.
3. Use your rain smarts. During fall, many cities see increased rainfall. When it's raining, be sure to maintain a safe distance from the car in front of you, as the wet roads may be more slippery than usual and you may be at higher risk of hydroplaning.
4. Be careful on bridges. As the temperature begins to drop, morning frost can leave icy patches on bridges, overpasses and shaded spots on the road. Slow down.
5. Watch out for deer. Autumn marks the beginning of deer breeding season and they will be more active in areas near the road. Deer are most active during sunset and sunrise so be extra watchful when driving near the woods and near deer crossing signs.